Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Halloween Costumes

Since I have been lagging on posts, I never told you guys what my kids were for Halloween this year. 
E, once again, wanted to be something related to Star Wars. I'm not sure if he was a clone trooper or a storm trooper, (I get confused) but I most definitely knew that making that costume for him was next to impossible. I hate buying store bought costumes, but I know my limitations people:o)
Thankfully S.R. wanted to be something easy, Pocahontas. The Disney Pocahontas costumes aren't exactly modest, so I decided that we would go for a less flashy, more coverage kind of dress:o)
E didn't get to wear his Star Wars costume to school, but they do have book character day, and get to dress up for that. He chose to be Peter Pan. It doesn't get much easier than that! I purchased 2 t-shirts from Hobby Lobby. The lighter color in his size, and the darker color in an adult large. I turned the adult shirt into pants using a pajamas pant pattern, and used the sleeves of that same shirt to make the hat.
 His belt was made out of brown ribbon and Velcro, and his feather was made from felt. He loved it, and best of all if was cheap and super comfy for him.
 S.R. 's costume took some planning, but once I figured out how I wanted to construct it, it was smooth sailing from there. I used a peasant dress pattern found at Walmart in the 99 cent section. The fabric is some kind of faux leather/suede material, also purchased from Walmart.
After I pieced the dress together, I cut the skirt portion into a V, and then laid it flat on the ground and started cutting slits. 
 I bought a shirt and leggings and dyed them tan, and painted a red tattoo on the sleeve of the shirt. 
The whole reason S.R. wanted to be Pocahontas was because of her "blue diamond necklace." The girl likes her bling, so I definitely had to include the neckalce!
I found the medallion at Walmart in the discount jewelry making section, and looped a leather necklace I had on hand through it.
That's one pretty little Indian Princess:o)
 Here is a shot of little man in his "Whichever" Trooper costume:o) Such a sweet boy!
 And the with the helmet on for the full effect.
We didn't do the normal neighborhood trick-or-treating this year for two reasons...the first was because it was on a Wednesday night, and we had church..and the second was because we have been fighting a cold virus, and S.R. has been on a nebulizer for quite some time now. We needed to stay out of the cold air, so  we decided to trick or treat at a local retirement home, and visit with the ladies there. 
It was so fun, and I'm so glad we got to visit with those sweet women!

0 comments: